Friday, February 2, 2007

"I look forward to reading multi-genre papers. I hated to read traditional research papers because I had to sit in an uncomfortable chair and literally pinch myself at times to stay focused. Such papers, when well done, revealed the belnding of many sources--except for the most important one--the student's voice. I began to resent spending my precious life reading this lackluster writing." --Sue Amendt, quoted in Blending Genre, Altering Style by Tom Romano, page s 5-6

For some reason, teachers complaining about grading papers is becoming one of my leading pet peeves. In conversations with some of my fellow co-horters, we've come to the conclusion that while Romano does give us a great guide for guiding students in creating multi-genre papers, it doesn't do a very good job of telling us what multi-genre papers actually do. I'm trying to find a way that the reason doesn't lie in the above quote--that we would be doing these papers for some pragmatic, altruistic reason--but instead, I'm left with a feeling of a shortcut, or a concession. "Fine" we seem to be saying, "if you can't write an enganging essay, would you please just write a freaking poem? I'm bored to tears, here!"

Why does expository writing exclude the student's voice? The truth is that it doesn't, it could never hope to, but for some reason, the perception is that the 5-paragraph essay structure comes attached with the idea that we must be as nuetered, as non-prominent, as possible. This is a misconception, especially since high schoolers should begin writing persuasive essays, which better well voice an opinion. And labeling expository writing as inherently boring and factual, while narrative writing is inherently exciting and emotional and interesting, is a huge diservice to both creative writing and expository writing.

Teachers need to find a way to make expository writing engaging for their students (making the writing engaging to read as a result), not just allow students to create engaging projects in the hope that they will include some expository details, such as a 5 year old report on Allosaurs.

Teachers also need to understand, that if you are sick and tired of reading the same boring esays time and time again, then there is something wrong with the method, not the students, and not the genre. I'm sure that I could easily teach creative writing in such a formulaic, stilted way that soon, all student poems would begin to look the same as well, and then I would have to begin pinching myslef to get through it all. In fact, if multi-genre papers become a standard somewhere, it's only a matter of time.

MadS

7 comments:

Tess Marie said...

Hey Matt-

I agree with you that the method of teaching of expository essays is a large part of the reason they are boring. But I do think that there is some merit to the fact that students simply LIKE writing more creative pieces.

I think part of our job as teachers is to teach what is important (both creative expression and traditional expository essays), and the other part is to make it exciting and fun for students so that they want to do more of it. Sometimes, I just want my students to WRITE. I don't always care how they do it, I just want them to DO it. And that has absolutely nothing to do with my grading load. :)

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

Anonymous said...

good evening people. I'm really into shoes and I have been looking for that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are all over 330 bucks everwhere. But completely I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hello dudes. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking allowing for regarding that meticulous brand. The prices for the sneakers are around 340 dollars on every page. But for all I bring about this area selling them for half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good morning everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking allowing for regarding that particular model. The prices as regards the boots were approximately 230 dollars on every page. But for all I set this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase these. what do you think?

Anonymous said...

good evening everyone. I'm really into shoes and I had been looking as far as something that meticulous brand. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were approximately 230 pounds everwhere. But definitively I set this locate selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order them. what can you say about it?